about

Nursery Dresser – Before and After

I’ve mentioned how awesome our neighbours are before… and they’ve come through again. We got this great hand-me-down and I decided to refinish it while I have the time (since everyone keeps telling us we’ll have none when we have a family).

Here’s how she started out:

before01

before05

I wanted to get the top down to the wood. There was a few coats of paint hiding under there. I began attacking it with a paint stripper…. but only got so far.

before03

But, then it was time for the big guns — the belt sander. That got me right down to the wood.

before02

before04

Picked up some new hardware and paint. The paint is a soft celery colour (Behr Premiun Plus 380F-4 Ground Ginger). The stain on the top and front is Minwax Golden Oak.

after02

Those little giraffes had their own mini-makeover as well. Here they are before:

giraffe-before

They started out pretty glossy. So, they needed a good sanding before paint. Here is how they turned out after a fresh coat of paint. I used Behr Premium Plus in S-G-360 Bright Star, for a good pop of colour.

giraffe-after

after03

after01

Picked up this set of hooks from Ikea ($3.99) for a bit more storage and interest.

after04

What do you think? Share your own projects by sending low-res photos here.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest1

18 Responses to Nursery Dresser – Before and After

1. Pingback: Top Drawer Upgrade « Fresh Crush

2. Pingback: Change Table – Before and After « Fresh Crush

3. I love the hooks you added! Such a genius idea …

4. Stacy says:

Wow!! Great Job!

5. MaryGene says:

Just came over from YHL–where are those giraffes from!?! I love them!

6. Struggler says:

Also here from YHL. I love the giraffes too!
    Great idea to add hooks to the side – Ikea is hard to beat for creative storage options.

7. Laura Durrer says:

Nice work on the sanding. That can be hard to get so smooth after a previous paint job. Inspiring! Thanks for Sharing!

8. Maisypot says:

Love that you took it back to its wood origins. So clean and simple Where did you find that BOOK bookends?! I’ve been searching for something just like those, with no luck.

9. Autumn Clark says:

This is really adorable. The natural wood is so complimentary for a nursery. I got an electric sander one week ago, after so much time sanding by hand, and am in dusty heaven!

10. I love what you did with the giraffes!!! beautiful!!!

11. meagan s. says:

love it! i never would of thought to do the 2 tone- very cool. you should post pics. of the rest of the room. I’m trying to start decorating my own nursery and could use some inspiration. :)
    meagan

• freshcrush says:

Hey Meagan, it’s definitely a work in progress. But there are some more images of what has been completed so far, here. I would love love love to see how you make out with your own nursery if you’re not too shy to share. Low res images can be emailed here. Thanks for the visit, and good luck!!

12. Sarah says:

Hello there! I just came across your blog this morning. Love surfing the net on summer vacation. The words “nursery” and “adoption” jumped out at me. I just finished revamping an antique children’s chair for our little dude/dudette when they come home from Ethiopia sometime in the future.

P.S. Your dresser looks great. Love the giraffes. :)

Here is the link to my little project:

13. Pingback: Fresh Feature: Young House Love « Fresh Crush