DIY: Shade upgrade

I have had this lamp for 12 years. It was a gift from my Mom when I moved into my first apartment. It’s made it through a few moves without a single blemish.  Admittedly, the last couple years it’s been hiding in our spare room — not really “fitting in” anywhere. It’s time for a re-invention…

This is the original:

Great shade, just very… blue.

I found this drum shade at Walmart, for a grand total of $12.99

The two shades need different connectors, and after a quick trip to Rona, I found what I needed for around $5.

My lamp base didn’t allow me to take the entire lamp apart in order to slip the base of the harp support over the shade connector. So I needed to make a simple and easy modification.

I placed the harp base into a vise grip and used a hacksaw to slice a portion away so I could slip it horizontally into place.

Now it easily slips into place without needing to disassemble (potentially destroy) my entire lamp base.

Here it is in place:

All that’s left to do is pop the top portion of the harp on and install the new drum shade. A completely new look, and no more need to “hide”. All for around $18. Not too shabby.

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *