about

DIY: Purse Organizer!

If you’re like me, maybe you have a purse or two of the slouchy variety? You know, that bag that seemed so casual, and fun in the store — and then you get it home, start using it, and realize that it is a deep dark abyss of a pit, that seems to enjoy consuming keys and cell phones?

Do you ever hear your phone ringing while you’re out and about, and say to yourself, “Ah, what’s the point, I’ll never find it in time anyway.” … Me too. I think this little DIY experiment might be made for you…

So here are the contents of my bag regularly tossed around, and difficult to locate:

01-contents

A cereal box will come to the rescue as the support for my new organizer. The short side of the box will be the base of the organizer, and the front and back of the box will fold upwards to create the sides of the organizer, and will hold the pockets. I’ve cut the box to size, and planned how the contents might fit here.

02-plan

Next, 2 equal square pieces of fabric are needed for the interior and exterior of the organizer.

03-cerealbox

I’ve determined the height for the pockets from averaging out the size needed to contain the most common items I carry around in my bag daily. I’ve chosen to make my pockets from the same fabric as above, but you might want to use a complimentary fabric instead. I first cut strips of the fabric in my desired height, and then hemmed the top and bottom.

05-pocket-hem

I then took the strips of fabric for the pockets and sized the pockets by actually wrapping the fabric around the item, and pinning it in place. These pockets are pinned atop the first square fabric piece I cut earlier.

04-sizingpockets

06b-pinning-pocket

06c-pinning-pocket

Here are the first row of pockets sewn. Next, repeat the steps above on the second side of the organizer.

07-sewn-pocket

Now for that second square piece we prepared earlier. Take that piece of fabric, and join it right-side to right-side with the piece that has the pockets attached. Sew 3 of the 4 sides closed, as shown here:

08-edgesew

Next turn the organizer right-side-out, and through the one open side, insert the cereal box cardboard, and sew closed.

09-cardboard

13-done-openpockets

Done! Time to load up with all your much needed, and not-so-needed stuff! The interior side will keep a wide open space, in my case, for my wallet…

10-done-open

And, the exterior edges of the organizer contains the oh-so-needed pockets!!

11-done-side

12-done-side2

14-done-end

And, inside the purse?? Organization at its best!! Just look at everything in its place. Love. It.

15-done-purse

I think this project could be easily modified to hang off the arm of your couch for your remote-controls, or perhaps slid between your mattress and box spring for magazines, books, lip balm or anything else that’s getting in your way.

The best part is, this project cost next to nothing to complete, as the fabric was scraps of fabric I already had, and the cereal was long gone, and the box needed recycling anyway. Give yourself an afternoon to get your own purse, bag, briefcase, or tote in order! You won’t be disappointed!

Have your own go-to organizational tools? Share with the rest of the class in the comments, or on our facebook page!

For those of you who like my choice of fabric, it is Heather Bailey’s Nicey Jane in Blue. Look for it on Quilt Home!

Share on Facebook106Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest2765

33 Responses to DIY: Purse Organizer!

1. Borrowed Abode says:

Pure Genius!!! Love it!

2. Pingback: Perfect DIY Purse Organizer @ Fresh Crush

3. ASH says:

This is a neat way to organize. I know the feeling of buying a purse and then later having it not work for you .. ugh! I love the fabric you used.

4. Love this!!!! Also I have fallen in love with you wallet where did you get it?!

5. Carole says:

ah, so very clever! that fabric is great!

6. Bria says:

whaaaat?! so cool!

7. Kelly says:

I love it! I also love your gray purse! Where is that from???

• freshcrush says:

It’s Hilary Radley, NY. I found mine at Winner’s. But, I also found it on-line here and here. Winner’s stock is quite marked down. I think I spent approx. $30 on mine?? The amazon link list’s it at about $90, the handbagsnmore link has it at $40. Happy searchin’ and shoppin’!

8. Meaghan says:

This is awesome, I’m going to feature it on my blog, and then hopefully find some time to do it!!

9. good idea. i totally need something like that!

10. Thank you so much for this wonderful project I have linked to it on my blog today because I just love it so much. http://www.fashionablyorganized.com/2010/08/wednesday-diy-8-18/

11. Pingback: Fashionably Organized » Blog Archive » Wednesday DIY Organization & More

12. Dajana says:

Love your organizer! L-O-V-E! Would you ever consider making some to sell to non-sewers like myself? I’d be the first in line. :)

13. Mary says:

Nothing short of brilliant!

14. Rosemary says:

I really like your idea and I have a suggestion: If you use Peltex I think the brand name is, to interface, it’s very stiff and washable, whereas cardboard is not.

15. Angelene says:

Just got done making my purse organizer, really like how it turned out! Thanks for the tutorial, check out the results at my blog: http://www.angelenedesigns.com/blog/get-organized-with-this-diy-purse-organizer/

16. Pingback: » Get Organized with this DIY Purse Organizer angelenedesigns

17. Pingback: 5 Ways to Use Cereal Boxes for Organizing

18. Rana says:

OMG!!!! what a good idea to use cardboard from a box instead of interfacing!!!!! LOVE it!! Will be giving this pattern a go this weekend for sure…. thanks!! :)

19. Belle idée pour cet organisateur de sac
    et pour la réalisation! Bravo!

20. kim cozad says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made one today & I love it!

21. Glynn says:

I have been looking everywhere in my city for a purse organizer without sucess. Was feeling like I had to order it online, then stumbled across your BRILLIANT idea which I’ll be customizing for myself. Thanks so much for sharing!

22. I bookmarked this awesome tutorial a couple of weeks ago, and now that I came back to make one, none of the pictures are showing up! Can you fix it? I love your tutorial! Thanks!

23. Pingback: 21 Truly Awesome Ways to Upcycle A Cereal Box | Fox Rio 2 News RGV

24. kittyle says:

Oh wow…I’ve been trying to think of something personal but useful, to make as Christmas presents for my friends. Thank you sooo much for sharing this Fantastic/Easy-to-follow pattern, I can’t wait to get sewing. Hmm…Maybe I should make one for myself first to ‘test it’?!? lol.